Monday 4 August 2014

Dust

Did I ever tell you about the time I flew across the Atlantic?
You know, I've been in here for over a year now. Millions have come and gone... but I'm still here. It's crazy. First in: Last out. F.I.L.O. That's how it is around here.
So... what are you then?
What am I?
Yeah.
Do you mean like, in the whole scheme of things? Metaphysically?
No, no, no. What are you?
Of dog?
Of dog? Me too! The ones who come through here – they're a real diverse crowd. There was this polyester who wouldn't shut up. I was just like, go back where you came from. Thank god, you know... didn't last long. About a week, or so.
I question this whole thing.
What do you mean?
I mean, do we really come from where we think we come from?
You've lost me.
Well, we started off coming from dog to begin with... but where did we come from before that? We're not eternal. We didn't always 'be from dog'. If you know what I mean.
No. I don't know what you mean.
I mean, before your first memory of 'coming from dog', what were you then?
I was dog.
Really?
Yes.
Hmm, I'm not that sure. I think there were things that made us. I mean, it's obvious really when you think about it. If we're not eternal, then we must come from somewhere beforehand. And that must have come from somewhere before that --- AND that must've come from something, you know?
Are you sure you're not polyester?
No, but saying that, I'm not really sure what I am.
Hold on. Hold on. This is sounding crazy. We're not dog because 'where did we come from before we came from dog'...?
Yes...
Well, if dog didn't make us, where did we come from?
That's just it. I don't know.
Well, if you don't know, then you should just accept that you came from dog. Have faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment