Wednesday 6 August 2014

i'll be there

Who’ll think of me when I am gone?
A lonely few? More than one?
Who’ll think of me a kindly thought?
Who’ll think a thought of any sort?
Will there be a tear or two?
A cry? A wail? A fair to do?
Who’ll plan the buffet later on?
Be there to eat it? Anyone?
The vol au vents and sausage rolls;
The cheese, the cakes; profiteroles.

We’ll have it with an open bar
Drink all you can for half an hour
Who’ll raise a glass and make a toast
To the man who used to boast
About the press-ups by the ton;
The funds raised for the marathon?
Who’ll remember fondly when
I went Far East and back again?
Will anybody denigrate?
Will anyone voice words of hate
About the man who lies in state?
Well, bums on seats: proliferate!

I grieved for those I loved and lost.
Who’ll grieve for me? Who’ll pay the cost
Of my cremation if I’m broke?
I may be poor. It is no joke.
Who’ll be around when I expire?
Who’ll be there when they light the fire?
The chances are I’ll be alone.
No doppelganger, twin or clone.
Who’ll place me in the family tree?
Who’ll read or write my eulogy?
Who’ll be there for my dying breath?
Who’ll hold my hand when I meet death?
Who’ll be there when my skin turns blue?
I’ll be there. Will you be too?

No comments:

Post a Comment