Sunday 13 December 2015

A Want of My Own

Like drowning in a lake of tears that never fall,
I snatch for breaths stolen from me.
I suck fiercely at hard liquid
And pungent air
Heavy in my chest
Air that gags me, a palm on my lips
Strong. As I score their flesh for release
My plea is met with disdain
My face pushed further down

And I panic now as I see the end
Closer, closer as the walls close in
My struggles pulse against my ribs
The drumming in my head
Sliding stars and the colour of blood before my eyes
I need to be free to break free of this force
That is holding me in place
And the gaze pressing on me
Controlling me
Keeping everything from me that I need
That I want
That I yearn
To hold and embrace as my own.
I scream inside and want to draw that life into me.
But it isn’t mine


No more


And I must go.

No comments:

Post a Comment