Saturday 19 December 2015

Star Wars

I watched the new Star Wars film a couple of days ago. Before going I put a comment on Facebook about John Boyega - an actor I don't know much about apart from the character he plays in Attack the Block - and how it would be interesting to see if he chavs up his character. 'May the Force be wiv you, innit bruv!' is what I wrote. There were a couple of comments from friends saying I was going to love the film. I then to watch the film.

The prequels were a chance for Star Wars fans to see a film that utilised the new computer graphic technology in a Star Wars universe. We couldn't wait, and when we got into the film, we were blown away by the graphics and the lightsabre battles. It took me about ten years to realise - after so many people had mentioned the bad things about The Phantom Menace - that the first prequel was very badly made. After watching the RedLetterMedia reviews I then understood just how badly made all the films were and just how abysmal were the storylines. I was wary about this new trilogy, and knowing that J.J. Abrams was directing didn't make me feel any more confident. He has the ability to do some strange things in his films; camera flares and not caring about universe lore when it came to Star Trek. But I went in with an open mind...

I returned expecting a couple more comments saying positive things about the film. What I got was a comment from a black friend saying: 'Why, because he's black?'
She is also a feminist and a homosexual. Basically she ticks three of the major boxes you need to get away with saying anything you want to a heterosexual white man.

After everything I'd gone through over the past week I was just exasperated. I didn't even manage to get angry by the accusation of racism. I was so thankful that one of my friends argued against her and said that there was nothing wrong with the status and that she was playing 'that card'. Her replies to him were that ignoring racism or the different colours of skin doesn't help the fight against racism. What she completely ignores is that a stance against racism can come in many forms, and the srive for equality can be done in your own way. My way, and from his words, the way of my friend, is that we take everybody on what they do, not on who they are. I don't give two shits about the colour of someones skin, what they dress in, or what type of genitalia they have.

But I responded telling her that I put it because of the character he'd played in Attack the Block. Her fucked up response was that Boyega is a serious, established actor who is more than a part he has played and why didn't I comment on one of the other - white - actors. (If I'd commented on the female actor would she have had problems with that?) (If i'd commented on an actor who is transgender or gay, would she have found exception there?). What I'm getting from her comment is that a white man can only joke about white actors and the characters they have played.

So, my response was that I was commenting that I had only seen him in Attack the Block. I told her that she was out of order for what she had written. What I wish I had added (just for complete clarity) is that i couldn't comment on the other new cast members because I knew absolutely nothing about them, with the exception of Oscar Isaac who, to this date, has done nothing exceptional or quote-worthy. John Boyega has played a London chav who had a very distinctive way of talking in a film I have seen twice. Where the humour comes in this is that the dialogue in the Star Wars films is almost archaic or from the world of very old cinema. Having chav language integrated or conflated within this could be quite humorous. 'May the Force be wiv you, innit bruv'. Some could argue that this is funny. Some could argue that because I am white and the actor who may say this happens to be black makes me a racist. Some people could be wrong in this accusation.

People really should start to look at themselves when throwing around these accusations.
'Heavy words are so lightly thrown' is what Morrissey sang.
'Those who fight monsters must fight not to become monstrous. When you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you' is what Nietzsche wrote.
Just because you are black, female and gay does not make you the standard bearer for morality. Grow up.

As for the film, it felt like a Star Wars film. It was very enjoyable. I'd like to see it again. When the Millenium Falcon appeared, being pursued by the Tie Fighters with the distinctive groan of their engines, I got goosebumps and couldn't get the smile off my face. The new cast were all fantastic. Fantastic! The female actor, Daisy Ridley, was phenomenal. The black actor, John Boyega, was so cute, amiable, heroic and funny. The white actor, Oscar Isaac, was surprisingly likeable and such a great addition. The other white actor, Adam Driver, was such an intimidating yet damaged and incomplete monster. The most white actor, Domhnall Gleeson, played a very effective antagonist. Andy Serkis (who is white but buried under motion-capture) was good. Lupita Nyong'o (who is a black female actor) has a great voice behind her own motion capture character. The original cast is both male and female, but unfortunately they're all heterosexual (I think). Harrison Ford, for the first time in so many years, really brought his character to life. Carrie Fisher wasn't great, but I don't care - oh, she's a woman - I don't care because I love her for who she is. Mark Hamill was only in it for a while but what he did was very effective. He's white, male and heterosexual.

Phew... there you go, that's what I thought of Star Wars: The Force Awakens and also I have addressed all genders, races and sexual persuasions. 7/10.

oh and the other main female character who is played by a white actress, Captain Phasma, was a waste of a villain.

No comments:

Post a Comment