Sunday 2 November 2014

Bereft of Heart

You talk about your weary heart, when all mine does is bleed.
The tears I've cried have emptied me till nothing hides inside.
A chasm gapes, I gasp for air, I find I cannot breathe.
Your voice says there's no other way, I say you never tried.

While desolation isolates a light that strives to shine,
Fighting through exhaustion and an umpteenth final plea:
"Stop crying now." I hear you say, you said I'll be just fine,
“You'll find another, better girl, thank God I set you free.”

I close my eyes and, over me, a change within myself.
A violent fury in your face, your hand becomes the knife.
You said you'd kill us all, you said and then you'd kill yourself.
So how, I ask, I ask myself, how were we man and wife?

My last appeal, I begged you please. Through yielding words you lied.
There's nothing now, you took my gifts, the best of me has died.

No comments:

Post a Comment